Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 1995 11:15:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help! I got a bad block....

> > If the replacement sectors are otherwise exposed as usable data sectors,
> > turning it on would be Bad(tm) if you have already stored data on the
> > drive.
>
> I don't _think_ anyone would be that stupid.

I see you've never owned a WD1007 ESDI controller.  8-).

> > If the replacement sectors are not otherwise exposed as usable data
> > sectors, having it off at all is silly.
>
> See above.  Your point is arguably valid.

I don't buy the "on a bad day argument".  I can't see how a good sector
could be incorrectly marked bad, unless you have the driver cooperate in
the marking and blow the driver programming.

Either way, you'll eat the spare sectors while testing.

I believe you can clear the sectors that have been remapped in any case
by issuing SCSI commands.  If nothing else, you can re low-level format
the drive.

So the people at risk are driver writers, and the inconvenience is only
high if they write their drivers using large drive.  8-).

I think that the device ought to have an "implied" media perfection
layer that causes the remapping to be turned on by default when FreeBSD
is installed.  Hell, I think it ought to be turned on when Win95 is
installed (it isn't, in case you were wondering).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.