Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 2013 17:27:22 -0600
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, x11@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] xorg version switch in CURRENT

On 12/17/13 15:32, Aleksandr Rybalko wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 14:12:05 -0600
> Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> It appears that newcons is unusable with a static kernel.
>>> Adding 'device drm2' and 'device i915kms' to my kernel
>>> config results in a quick death to 'make buldkernel'.
>>>
>> You may not want it either. The radeon KMS driver, if loaded with
>> newcons before X, replaces your console with snow (or at least it did
>> the last time I tried it).
> Nathan, on which h/w you did that test? 3 different systems with Intel
> graphic works fine for me.

This is on the following graphics card on amd64:

vgapci0@pci0:3:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x10022f43 chip=0x95cc1002
rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
     vendor     = 'Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI'
     device     = 'RV620 [ATI FireGL V3700]'

I'll run the test again today or tomorrow and see if it still happens.
-Nathan