Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:59:59 -0400
From:      Ryan <bw2003@shaw.ca>
To:        Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "make/install buildworld" without Perl being reinstalled?

Hello, :)

Please check out
/etc/defaults/make.conf
For examples.

Below can be used in /etc/make.conf to prevent building of programs
in a build/install world.

# To avoid building various parts of the base system:
#NO_CVS=        true    # do not build CVS
#NO_BIND=       true    # do not build BIND
#NO_FORTRAN=    true    # do not build g77 and related libraries
#NO_I4B=        true    # do not build isdn4bsd package
#NO_IPFILTER=   true    # do not build IP Filter package
#NO_LPR=        true    # do not build lpr and related programs
#NO_MAILWRAPPER=true    # do not build the mailwrapper(8) MTA selector
#NO_MODULES=    true    # do not build modules with the kernel
#NO_OBJC=       true    # do not build Objective C support
#NO_OPENSSH=    true    # do not build OpenSSH
#NO_OPENSSL=    true    # do not build OpenSSL (implies NO_OPENSSH)
#NO_SENDMAIL=   true    # do not build sendmail and related programs
#NO_SHAREDOCS=  true    # do not build the 4.4BSD legacy docs
#NO_TCSH=       true    # do not build and install /bin/csh (which is tcsh)
#NO_X=          true    # do not compile in XWindows support (e.g. doscmd)
#NOCRYPT=       true    # do not build any crypto code
#NOGAMES=       true    # do not build games (games/ subdir)
#NOINFO=        true    # do not make or install info files
#NOLIBC_R=      true    # do not build libc_r (re-entrant version of libc)
#NOMAN=         true    # do not build manual pages
#NOPERL=        true    # do not build perl. Disables OpenSSL optimizations
#NOPROFILE=     true    # Avoid compiling profiled libraries
#NOSECURE=      true    # do not build crypto code in secure/ subdir
#NOSHARE=       true    # do not go into the share subdir
#NOUUCP=        true    # do not build uucp related programs

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

Also make sure to checkout the file /usr/src/UPDATING
for changes and proper methods to recompiling everything or upgrading.

<Happy Trails>
Ryan,