Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 2004 14:20:18 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD vs Intel ...

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Charles Swiger wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2004, at 11:16 AM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > G'day all ...
> >
> >   Simple question, I would hope ... I want to spec out a new server,
> > and
> > want to compare AMD vs Intel ... is there anything online that gives
> > approx equivalents?  ie. a Xeon 2.4Ghz processor would be approx
> > equivalent to an AMD ... ??
>
> I know you're not a troll, Marc, but this question is much like asking
> whether emacs or vi makes a better editor.  :-)

Actually, I wasn't asking which one was better though :)  I'm only curious
as to how I can compare the two ... its kinda like Sun vs Intel ... I know
that the Sun should usually outperform Intel on fp, but Intel tends to do
a pretty good job against Sun on int operations ...

> An Intel Xeon 2.4GHz
> CPU approximately resembles an AMD 2400MP CPU in terms of capabilities
> and performance.  By this I mean they get very similar scores from
> www.spec.org's spec2000int:
>
> Epox 8KHA+, AMD Athlon XP 2400+: 782
> Dell PowerEdge 2650 (2.4 GHz Xeon): 792
>
> ...although the spec2000fp numbers are 641 vs. 726, so the Xeon does
> better at floating point.  For that particular test, anyway.  Do you
> require SMP capabilities?  What are you trying to do with this machine?

Server environment, Dual Processor ... web/mail/ftp generally ... all our
current servers are Intel based, but looking at the costs, the AMD are so
much cheaper, just figured for next one I'd check out what AMD had to
offer as comparable ...

Just trying to do some comparison shopping ... :)

----