Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 13:25:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   the finer points of cvsup...

   Keeping it short-

   Is it "better" to take a bunch of "small bites" by updating once a day,
or should I lean toward taking fewer "big bites" and update weekly?

   What's the story on '*default compress' - is it "better" to compress
even on a fast connection, or does that overhead tax the cvsup server?

   I want to be as kind to the cvsup servers as possible, am not in a big
hurry, and have both CPU and bandwidth to spare at the time cvsup is going
to run. But I also want to have "reasonably" current src, ports, and doc.
If there's a burden to shoulder, I want it to be mine and not the cvsup
server's - I've had near zero trouble with the server I target, and will
do what I can to keep it that way.

   Any examples of what people are doing, and most importantly why you're
doing it that way, would be much appreciated.

-=Jim=-