Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2007 05:31:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Arne "Wörner" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
To:        hshh <hunreal@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bad performance while transfer large block size through NFS.

> I set up one NFS server, and mounted on other server by TCP. Servers
> connected with Giga network, and running 6.2-RELEASE.
>
> But I found the performance is very bad while transfering large block
> size data.

I dont know if it makes any sense, but at least the following experiment might
be fun:

1. With various block sizes (e. g. 32k, 128k, 1m, 2m) on the client box:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null bs=XXX count=1k

2. With various block sizes (e. g. 32k, 128k, 1m, 2m) on the client box:
dd if=/dev/zero bs=XXX count=1k | dd of=/path/to/nfs/mount bs=32k

3. With various block sizes (e. g. 32k, 128k, 1m, 2m) on the client box:
dd if=/dev/zero bs=XXX count=1k | dd of=/dev/null bs=32k

The idea would be, that possibly the client box has problems, when it has to
handle big data blocks inside the kernel (in that case part 1 would show the
same performance degradation as ur initial test).

-Arne

The fish are biting.