Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 00:09:43 -0700
From:      "John Smith" <ludwicza@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: colors really dark

>From: parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
>To: John Smith <ludwicza@hotmail.com>
>CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: colors really dark
>Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 02:39:48 -0400
>
>in message <F86irm9ezrmjZ7zgTpi0000fc8b@hotmail.com>,
>wrote John Smith thusly...

> > I was thinking about 8-bit
> > color for a second, but does a default install automatically pick this
>for
> > you, and is there any way of changing it?
>
>see XFree86 manual(s) and/or XF86Config somewhere in /etc.

Hmmm, are you talking about color depth in xterm or what I'm using in the X
server?  In that latter case, I'm using 16bpp.  I'm assuming this is what
you meant, I guess I got confused with the other guy said earlier.

> > I've used Linux for a few years,
> > and I know how vim looks between every Linux system by default with
>syntax
> > highlighting on, it's just it very dark in FreeBSD's console.  I
>installed
> > gnuls and found it to be a much better alternative to FreeBSD's ls,
>since it
> > does sorting by extension, and the colors are much brighter, and easier
> > see.
>
>well, as far as ls(1) & gnuls(1) are concerned, they just use different
>"fonts" & colors. for ls, all the colored listing are in normal font,
>i.e. not bold. whereas, gnuls uses bold fonts, which happens to be
>in "bright"er version of the same color than normal font.
>
>for directories, both ls & gnuls use blue, which is very unreadable
>on dark background. however, gnuls also uses bolder font, which helps
>a little.
>
>and for executable files and symlinks, gnuls uses bold font and
>bright(green,cyan), while ls uses red and magenta, respectively. color
>choices for ls, in this case, are not easily readable on dark
>background, understandably.
>
>you may be able to change to color definitions. to get some idea, see
>vidcontrol(1) and xterm(1) in addition.
>
>  - parv

Yeah, I played around alot with vidcontrol before, but that still doesn't
help with vim, and I'm happy with gnuls' choice of colors, and I know how to
change them to suit my taste.  So I guess this is something I'm going to
have to do with vim's config itself then?