Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 15:46:00 +1100
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        Steve Proctor <sproctor@calweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Subject:   Re: Mount Failure!

> "MOUNT: /dev/wd0s1a on /: specified device does not match mounted device
> Filesystem mount failed, startup aborted"

Got bit by this one myself this morning.

Reason: I don't know, tho there has been a lot of activity in this area so we
might just have fallen in the middle of a series of commits...

How to fix it:
- boot single user (break into /boot/loader while it is counting down and type
"boot -s"
- manually mount the root partition "mount /dev/wd0a /"
- (you may need/like to mount /usr as well if you need to use "vi" or "ee")
- edit the /etc/fstab file to remove the "s1" from the /dev/wd0s1a entry
- reboot and all is well

I'm not entirely sure we won't have to reverse this fix next time we cvsup....

Warner: might like to put this in src/UPDATING

Greg.