Date:      Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:10:17 +1000 (EST)
From:      Neo-Vortex <root@Neo-Vortex.net>
To:        Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        Alan <stoptbsd@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Q: routing, nat

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Charles Swiger wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2005, at 4:24 PM, Alan wrote:
> > I am trying to setup a home network with Internet access for a windows
> > xp machine and freeSBIE workstation and want to use the bsd station to
> > act as a gateway for the windows one. I am having hard time setting
> > the correct routing info.
> >
> > I will really appreciate it if someone could direct me to an article
> > on the net where I can read about it.
>
> Start with the Handbook:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/network-natd.html
>
> ...although a Linksys or D-Link broadband router does this job quite
> well, too.

Not meaning to start any flames... but i can strongly suggest _AGAINST_
D-Link Broaband Routers... (Especially the 504...). I personally have had
bad experiences with them, and so has many other people i know of who have
one.
My 504 is in Bridge mode (acts like a normal modem with a switch)
and FreeBSD acts as the router because it hanging (literally) 1-2 times a
day randomly plus if you ever try to use any features of MSN Messenger
that create a direct connection among other things (including Torrent
clients/etc) isn't acceptable for me...