Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2014 12:31:37 -0600
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        David Tenney <davidatenney@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.2 won't boot without a video console under KVM

At 09:30 AM 1/24/2014, David Tenney wrote:
>Thanks for the info Derek!
>
>Unfortunately, I still receive the same crash from KVM.
>

>On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Derek Ragona <
>derek@computinginnovations.com> wrote:
>
> >  At 01:06 PM 1/23/2014, David Tenney wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to run a FreeBSD 9.2 64-bit installation under KVM, but am
> > having issues when I remove the video hardware and install a serial console
> > connection. The installation boots just fine when video/Cirrus hardware is
> > provided to the virtual machine, but once it is removed, the installation
> > stops at the BTX loader and causes KVM to go into Paused mode, which cannot
> > be returned to Running. Here is a list of adjustments that were made to
> > configuration files:
> >
> > /etc/ttys:
> >
> > ttyu0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on secure
> >
> > /boot/defaults/loader.conf:
> >
> > console="comconsole"
> >
> > /boot.config:
> >
> > echo "-hP" > /boot.config
> >
> > Any help would be great. Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > David
> >

> > I have systems setup to do serial and regular consoles.  In my setup I
> > access the serial console over lan via ipmitool.
> >
> > In loader.conf I have
> > comsole="comconsole,vidconsole"
> > comconsole_speed="115200"
> > boot_multicons="YES"
> > boot_serial="YES"
> >
> > Along with some hint.uart settings such as:
> > hint.uart.2.baud="115200"
> > hint.uart.2.port="0x3e8"
> > hint.uart.2.irq="10"
> > hint.uart.2.flags="0x10"
> >
> >         -Derek
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > This email is free from viruses and malware because avast!
> Antivirus<http://www.avast.com/>protection is active.
> >

> > --
> > dangerous content by *MailScanner* <http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is
> > believed to be clean.

David,

I'm not sure what hardware you are using.  In my case I have supermicro
motherboards with dedicated IPMI ports.  I do need to do some BIOS setup
for the console redirection.

Have you tried booting single user, without acpi, or one of the others?  If
one of those boots, you may get some idea.  If not you might boot a live cd
and check the crash dump.

-Derek

---

believed to be clean.