Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2000 02:06:28 -0500
From:      "Kevin M. Dulzo" <kdulzo@caffeine.gerp.org>
To:        Kimura Fuyuki <fuyuki@jade.dti.ne.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports WRKDIRPREFIX fails when on separate mount point

On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 04:06:51PM +0900, Kimura Fuyuki wrote:
> > ( Scenario Two: NFS mounted /usr/ports WRKDIRPREFIX /usr/obj ufs mount /usr )
>
> Do not set WRKDIRPREFIX to /usr/obj.  It confuses make.  I was also
> caught in the trap. ;-) My recommendation is WRKDIRPREFIX=/var/tmp.
>
> I think this have to be warned in make.conf.

 ACK! Thanks for the pointer, this works.  /var/tmp isn't good for me, my
hope is to have an obj hierarchy for both opsys code and ports for both
alpha and i386 (and sparc hehe) and a single src/ports tree exported.
I can adjust <grin>.  I did not come across this in any mailing list searching
I had done, or docs anywhere -- IMHO this SHOULD be documented in
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk as /usr/obj would be a likely place to stick
ports workdirs in the hierarchy to keep them out of /usr/ports.

-Kevin