Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:56:09 +0100
From:      Aron Stansvik <elvstone@gmail.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Booting 5.3R on second disk using NTLDR

Hello.

I've been struggling with a dual boot setup for the best part of two
days here, and I'm not going to go outline the hazzles I've been
through. This is where I am now:

ad0 = Windows XP Professional
ad1 = FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE

Both OSs were installed from scratch, and ad0 and ad1 are set to
master and slave respectively. No cable select. I did the installation
in this order:

1) Make sure ad0 is the only connected disk.
2) Install Windows XP Professional on it.
3) Make sure ad1 is the only connected disk.
3) Install a Standard FreeBSD installation.

This because I'm in a paranoid state by now, so I want to make sure
Windows don't mess the FreeBSD disk up (and vice versa by user error).

During FreeBSD installation, I choose "Install a standard MBR (no boot
manager)", I then booted the system with the kernel from the CD and
the root from my new install, by doing boot -a and then specify
ufs:ad1s1a as my root. When 5.3 was booted, I then did:

1) dd if=/dev/ad1s1 of=/tmp/bootsect.bsd bs=512 count=1
2) scp /tmp/bootsect.bsd <other_host>:/tmp
3) Halt the system
4) Connect ad0
5) Boot Windows XP
6) scp <other_host>:/tmp/bootsect.bsd c:\
7) Append this to c:\boot.ini:
       c:\bootsect.bsd = "FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE"
8) Reboot and choose "FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE" at the NTLDR boot menu
9) "Boot error"

Anyone know what I've done wrong? I've followed the short instructions at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#NT-BOOTLOADER

and I've Googled and read both boot(8) and boot0cfg(8) to look for
something that I've done wrong or something that could help me get
this to work.

It was a long time since I set up a dual boot, but I need it this way
because it's my parents new computer, and me and my brother want
something else but Windows when we're there. I remember setting up
NTLDR to boot Linux years ago, but then it was on the same disk.

Thanks a lot for any answers!

Best regards,
Aron Stansvik