Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 1997 07:49:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      cgull+usenet-876050826@smoke.marlboro.vt.us (john hood)
To:        jkh@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   970919 snapshot install panic

So, I try an install of the 970919 snapshot, so I can get up and
running with -current, and I get bitten by a kernel panic late in the
install.

The machine is a K5/90 with 32MB RAM on a VXPro motherboard with a VIA
Apollo VP-1 chipset, S3 Trio64 on PCI, a real live Digital DE435
ethernet card as de0, and wd0, wd2, and wd3, all Quantum Fireballs.

I boot into visual config and clean out all the ISA crap I'm not
using.  For the fun of it, sometimes I set 0xa0ffa0ff on wdc0 and
wdc1, not that it makes any difference.

I do an FTP or NFS install off a FreeBSD 2.2.2 box on the local
network onto a single partition on wd0 on my crash box.

The machine panics, apparently while showing the "Making device nodes"
panel (depending on which VC I'm on, I can either get sysinstall's
screen or the panic dump below), just after it's copied on
kernel.GENERIC, and dies with something approximating this:

[...]
kernel.GENERIC
5038 blocks

fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
fault VA = 0x78
fault code = supervisor read, page not present
IP 8:f0134ed4
SP 10:f423af40
FP 10:f423af58
code segment = base 0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
	DPL 0 pres 1 def32 1 gran 1
EFLAGS = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL 0
current process = 43 (sh)
interrupt mask =			(yup, that's blank)
trap number = 12

It always panics exactly the same way, I think.  (I've verified the
panic message once, and it always panics at the same general point in
the install.)

BTW, kernel userconfig shows ide_pci0 as an unknown device under
miscellaneous.

Since I'm not running -current yet ;-), I have to do a bunch more work
before I could debug this (make release, for one...), but if it's
needed, I could do it.

  --jh

--
Mr. Belliveau said, "the difference was the wise,       John Hood,     cgull
intelligent look on the face of the cow."  He was      	                   @