Date:      Fri, 06 Feb 1998 08:52:05 +0000
From:      freebsd@isvara.net
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: wd0s1e hard errors

Yoah!

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Should bad144 be retired?
>
> Why, have you come up with a new "media perfection layer" which
> sits in Julian's new slice code under devfs to replace it so you
> can still use WD1007 ESDI controllers, MFM, RLL, and other drives
> that don't support automatic bad sector forwarding?

IMHO:
There is only *very few* IDE discs used today which don't remap the data
over media defects. All these harddiscs are often quite small - hell,
even my old 40MB Conner and 80MB Quantum harddiscs have defect
management. RLL, ESDI and MFM disks are REALLY old, small and slow.
Of course, you can't put much on small harddiscs anyway, so anyone using
FreeBSD or any other unix flavour will probably have >170MB (at least)
of IDE storage (or SCSI), therefore they will have automatic defect
management.

The IDE discs' own defect management system fails when the area reserved
for data previously over the defect, is full. You usually get big
problems later on (like defects creeping and expanding), leading to
eventual failure. bad144 won't solve these errors, just give you extra
time.

It's nice to lose old legacy stuff from modern OS's over time (eg. MCA
bus support), otherwise more support is required, etc etc.

Hope this gives a fresh view,
Daniel

Daniel J Blueman
BSc Computation, UMIST, Manchester