Date:      09 Nov 1998 15:27:18 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        VEGA <vega@d132-h017.rh.rit.edu>
Cc:        John Sconiers <jrs@enteract.com>, Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Plea to core team

VEGA <vega@d132-h017.rh.rit.edu> writes:

> i _do_ think it needs to bl clearer on the webpage, for the microsoft
> monkeys out there who don't see things unless they use the blink tag.
> once again, we can thank bill gates for the idiofying of the computer
> world.

Microsoft monkeys will always download the latest version ("Oh, look:
NT5-alpha2-sp17 just came out, let's put it on our exchange server!").
I do agree that if you're not clever enough to discern whether to use
-STABLE or x.0-RELEASE then the default should be -STABLE.

But I don't believe 3.0 was the problem for this luser. It was that
the install script didn't read his mind and configure the machine with
a 10GB /var partition for mail.  I think 2.2.7 would have the same
problem, so let's not beat ourselves up over the 2.x-STABLE versus
3.0-RELEASE thing.

(I just installed 3.0-BETA [a day before RELEASE came out]-: on a very
remote ISP, very reluctantly: 2.2-STABLE didn't work with our new Dell
disk controller.  Fortunately, it's been running very well as the
web/ftp/proxy/cache system, and a clone as the SMTP/POP/IMAP system.
But I saved up enough experience and bought a clue before installing:
I gave the web, cache, and mail dirs *plenty* of space on their
respective disks :-).