Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 16:59:11 +0200
From:      Gunnar Flygt <gunnar@pluto.sr.se>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ppp in -auto mode

Due to a disk crash I had to reinstall FreeBSD. Earlier I used the
version of ppp that I could fetch at awfulhak somewhere in May. This one
worked beatifully with MS RAS server. I then used ppp -auto sr to make
the ppp server work in the background.

With the version shipped with 2.2.7 I am not able to use ppp -auto, I
have to dial using ppp and the in ppp dial xxx and so on. I use exactly
the same ppp.conf that I used on the old system. What happens in -auto
mode is that I get a connection and then the rx and tx lights flash for
ever without me being able to do anything on the 'network'

What's the big difference? (And as an extra comment, I also fetched the
latest version of ppp from awfulhak with the same result.

This is my ppp.conf:

default:
 allow user gunnar
 set device /dev/cuaa0
 set speed 115200
sr:
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 15 \"\" AT&J3E1Q0
 OK-AT-OK \\dA
 TDI\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 set phone 1234567890
 set login
 set authname mylogin
 set authkey mypassword
 set openmode active
 set ns x.x.x.x x.x.x.x #with accurate values of course
 # set dns
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.254.0 0.0.0.0
 enable msext

and then in ppp.linkup I've got
sr:
 delete ALL