Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 1995 10:39:39 -0700
From:      James Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   note on gus/microphone

I have a gus card (3.7) and have been recently wondering
why the microphone did nothing; e.g.,
% cat < /dev/audio > out
got 0... bytes.  Actually, that still doesn't work, but
I learned one small painful fact that someone else might find
useful.  This is the case of the *wrong* mic and the *right* mic.
The wrong mic was naturally the 1st one I grabbed.  Came with
a sound blaster that my wife had at home in her pc.  Doesn't
work with the gus card.  The proof was it didn't work with
that nasty old windows "sound recorder" "accessory".  The right
mike came from radio shack.  It works with sound recorder and although
I haven't had much time to test it with vat yet, it may work there too.
I still don't know the actual hw difference between the two.  Maybe
pre-amp in one versus none in the other?
This suggests that buying a mic at a computer store that is SB
compatible if you have a gus may not be the right thing to do.

	goto radio_shack;

				regards,
				Jim Binkley
				jrb@cs.pdx.edu