Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2012 02:08:53 -0400
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhellenthal@dataix.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   mtree(8) reservation of 16 -1 char[] in mtree files...

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

I was just going through mtree(8) and happen to notice that mtree while
populating a mtree file by the following [1] reference that it suffixes
spaces as some sort of way to either reserve or pad the result for every
value.

Has anyone else see this behavior in Xterm or cons2* terminals from
stable/8 i386 @ r238072 ?

I tested this with /bin/sh /bin/csh /bin/bash /bin/ksh on cons25 cons50
xterm logged in directly as either a user or root through ssh and local.

I looked over the mtree files in /etc/mtree and they do not exhibit the
same thing so it now has me curious if something snuck in that would
have changed this behavior.

I have not had time to see if this repeats on other arch's

1). mtree -c -d -i -n -k uname,gname,mode,nochange >mtree.out

Thanks to anyone that hits me with the clue bat if I have missed
something.

--=20

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm--