Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 16:01:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com>
To:        fbsdlist@federation.addy.com (Cliff Addy)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump of entire disk

Cliff Addy wrote:

> Is there a way to have dump backup an entire disk?  I have a disk set up
> with three filesystems (/, /usr, and /var) and I can only get dump to send
> out a single filesystem.  I'd rather not use three separate tapes for each
> backup.

That's what dump does; it works on file systems. What you could do,
of course, is dump / to the non-rewinding tape device, then dump
/usr to the same and then dump /var. Since the tape will not rewind
at the end of each dump, you keep on adding to the end of the
last dump (think about how to record 4 seperate 30min cartoons
on one 2hr VCR tape... :) )

Cheers!