Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 07:28:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Watching DVD's in -stable

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Darryl Okahata wrote:

> Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com> wrote:
>
> > how does one "install" XVideo ?
> >
> > multi% xvinfo
> > X-Video Extension version 2.2
> > screen #0
> >  no adaptors present
>
>      I think it's either present, or it's not (if present, it's part of
> the X11 driver that you're using).  In your case, it doesn't exist.
>
>      You might be able to get it by switching to another X11 driver
> (i.e, if you're currently using the SVGA driver, which is unlikely).
>
> > (this is with XFree86-4.1.0_4, on a recent 4.3-Stable, BUT with a TNT-2)
> > (I may try to resinstall XFree86-4.0.3_x to see if XVideo is better
> > supported there ...)
>
>      I think that, if it's not in 4.1.0, it's probably not in 4.0.3,
> either.  You might want to try 3.3.6.

    3.3.6 most definitely will *not* have XVideo support.  You may
find an XVideo driver for your device in the GATOS source at
http://www.linuxvideo.org/ .  You may need to do some work to get it
to compile (e.g., you may have to take their patches to XFree86 and
apply them with sdiff).

    My experience has been that GATOS's drivers have stability
problems--I could sometimes lock up my display under XFree86 4.0.3
with the GATOS ATI driver (Mach64, not Radeon).  This is to be
expected--this is development-level source, not yet packaged as
release-quality (and they [GATOS] don't make that claim).

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)