Date:      Sun, 28 Dec 2008 21:50:35 -0800
From:      David Ehrmann <ehrmann@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SATA hotplug and AHCI

I ran across this on an old thread, somewhere:

"Try swapping drives without using atacontrol and read the kernel messages
that follow. It will tell you if it automatically detached the old drive and
attached the new drive, somewhat like it does with USB. If not, you will
need to use atacontrol to manually detach and attach. Either way, you will
always need to unmount it, and since this kind of operation has crashed my
machine many times, you might as well sync before you do anything too.
The feature list doesn't seem to tell you either way if hot plugging is
supported. With IDE, it depends on the chipset you're using."

So my question (I think): it's been a few years since that was written;
is it still the case that inserting a drive might not print a message?
Why not?  Does this mean I'll have to manually run atacontrol and can't
automate it with devd?