Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 10:42:27 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        plm@xs4all.nl (Peter Mutsaers)
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What PCMCIA ethernet card supported/recommended?

(redirected to -mobile, where this belongs)

Peter Mutsaers stands accused of saying:

> The handbook says that 3com 3c589 and IBM/National Semiconductor
> PCMCIA cards are supported. Are these still the only two in -current?

No; most "NE2000-compatible" PCCARDs are supported as well.

> The 3com is pretty expensive, so if there's a cheaper alternative I'd
> like it.

We've been using the Accton EN2216 quite a bit; it's about as cheap
as you get, and works flawlessly.

> In short, I hope someone can give me some advice on what card is
> recommended (without being too expensive) for -current; I'd rather
> have direct support and not depend on PAO.

At this point in time, installing with a PCCARD ethernet card is
problematic, however once you have you system up and going, the above is
a perfectly workable solution.

Avoid 'combo' modem/ether cards; they're not supported (and would be a
royal pain in the rear to support, in fact).