Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:39:51 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor memory bandwidth on ABIT IT5H rev 1.5

According to Stefan Esser:
> No, the TX should be faster than the VX (which is slow, unless
> you got SDRAM). The TX is (kind of) an enhanced version of the
> VX, and is assumed to be faster than the Triton 2 (it got deeper
> PCI buffers and supports new PCI 2.1 features that should improve

>From what I read, HX (aka Triton 2 if I'm not mistaken) is still faster
than TX (even with SDRAM) because while the TX buffers are bigger than the
VX's, they are still smaller than HX's.

Ref: <URL:http://sysdoc.pair.com/>;

> No, I don't think I wrote that (at least I didn't want to ... :)
> The TX should be better than the VX, which was slow with EDO, but
> slightly faster than the Triton 2 with SDRAM.

If what you call Triton 2 is HX, then HX doesn't support SDRAM. That is the
main problem with HX (and AFAIK the only one).

> The major limitation of the VX chip set is that it only supports
> 64MB of DRAM covered by secondary cache, so it is no good for
> server machines with a few hundred MB of RAM ...

Yes, I don't understand why they keep this stupid limit (except for
marketing reasons that is).
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: There are no limits -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #18: Sun Jun  8 15:32:28 CEST 1997