Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 20:33:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freebsd.org>
To:        Barnacle Wes <wes@intele.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: delays in ppp solved

On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Barnacle Wes wrote:

> Even cheese-less modems will cause some delay, as they have to pause
> and accumulate enough of the incoming data stream to determine that
> compression won't be effective.  Since this process is re-started
> each time the communications "turn around", i.e. at each window turn
> for ftp, these small pauses add up over a long transfer.

	hmmm.....modem makers dont know how to buffer?  data coming in,
data getting compressed, data going out.   no more data coming in?  just
shove out whatever we got.  how slow do you think the processors in
modems are?  some have 68030's inside.  give em ram, rom and mechanicals
and you got decent laser printers :)

Jonathan M. Bresler        FreeBSD Postmaster         jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
play go. ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life
i am moving to a new job.                 PLEASE USE: jmb@FreeBSD.ORG