Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2011 16:21:08 -0500
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Dimitry Andric <dim@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Merge of binutils 2.17

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Dimitry Andric <dim@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For some time, I have been working on importing a newer version of
> binutils into -current.  This updates our quite ancient 2.15 version to
> the last version available under GPLv2, 2.17.50.  (Special thanks to
> Nathan Whitehorn for his valuable feedback.)
>
> As far as I know, all issues building and running the base system with
> this version of binutils have been solved, so I am planning to merge it
> into -current in approximately one week (e.g. Friday, 2011-01-14).
>
> If you want to test, please checkout the project branch:
>
>  svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/projects/binutils-2.17
>
> or apply the following diff to r217118 or later (warning: very large
> diff, might need handholding to apply successfully, and use -E while
> patching):
>
>  http://www.andric.com/freebsd/binutils/binutils-2.17-r217118-1.diff.xz
>
> Then build world and kernel from the resulting source tree, and install
> them.  There should be no directly visible changes, except for the newer
> version number reported by as(1), ld(1) and so on:
>
>  2.17.50 [FreeBSD] 2007-07-03
>
> Please report any problems with either the base system, or ports that
> come up as a result of this binutils update.

In the main directory

http://svn.freebsd.org/base/projects/binutils-2.17/

all of the Text files are seen as Binary files by Firefox in Linux , then ,
instead of displaying them , it is starting a download dialog about a binary
file .

It is likely that , the others in sub directories are the same .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk