Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:06:19 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Benjamin Lutz <mail@maxlor.com>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: parallel builds revisited

--LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 07:44:47PM +0200, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> Benjamin Lutz p??e v ?t 10. 04. 2007 v 04:52 +0200:
[snip]
> >   3) Save this to /usr/local/etc/parallel_builds.conf:
> >      http://www.maxlor.com/temp/parallel_builds.conf .
> >      This is a list of ports as stored in PKGORIGIN, or as
> >      pkg_info -o reports them.
>=20
> I was thinking about having it embedded in every port's Makefile
> directly, instead. Something like
>=20
> USE_MAKE_JOBS=3D	2

Funny that this discussion should come up here at about the same time
as a very similar discussion on a Debian list :)

IMHO, hardcoding the number of jobs in the port's Makefile would not
be the best approach.  I think a port should only flag whether it
supports parallel building at all or not - and leave the number of jobs
to either the ports framework or the administrator's choice.

The ports framework may pick a value - ncpus, or ncpus+1, or ncpus*2, or
something like that - but, again IMHO, the administrator ought to be
able to override it in any case.

Other than that, it's great that y'all are actually doing something
about supporting parallel builds! :)

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@cnsys.bg    roam@FreeBSD.org
This sentence every third, but it still comprehensible.

--LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X

--LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X--