Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 10:17:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Richard Seaman <dick@tar.com>
Cc:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>, Wiliam Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>, "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble with Staroffice5.0

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Richard Seaman wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 02, 1999 at 11:18:26AM +0000, Doug Rabson wrote:
>
> > > I finally got it up and running too, but I had to do a lot voodoo :] It
> > > won't work, as it errs in the middle of its BASIC registration script. Does
> > > anyone have a registration code they can share, or some other way to get one?
> >
> > I had that.  From the newsgroups, this is a common failure.  Try running
> > setup again and telling it to repair your installation.  Failing that, try
> > uninstalling and reinstalling.  Worked for me, YMMV.
>
> When I had problems with registration, I unistalled, reinstalled, and then
> set the default PATH to include the Office50/bin directory.  I had assumed
> that the reason it worked the second time was that I managed to set the
> PATH variable.  But, maybe the deinstall/reinstall did something too.
>
> I'm also interested in a message you posted a few days ago, that SO50 runs
> on an SMP machine without threads.  I guess I (and others) had assumed the
> reason SO50 hadn't worked before  was because it needed a functioning
> linux_clone and the rest of the linux threads emulation to work.  Perhaps
> this wasn't true.  In working on the linux threads emulation, and also
> on SO50, a bug in linux_pipe was discovered and fixed.  Perhaps this was
> all that kept SO50 from running?  Maybe it just needs the fixed linux_pipe
> and thats all?
>
> I haven't tried SO50 without the linux threads patches, but it might
> be interesting for someone to try it with the linux_pipe patches
> (included by default in -current sources after about Dec 10) but without
> any of the other linux threads patches enabled (ie. compiled without
> COMPAT_LINUX_THREADS).  Presumably you would still need the proc
> cmdline patches.

Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been recovering from the 'flu.  I
haven't yet tested the SO50 install on an SMP machine (I was using a UP
kernel when originally installing and using SO).  The kernel is compiled
with the COMPAT_LINUX_THREADS option but I doubt if it makes a difference.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com