Date:      Wed, 7 Dec 2016 13:01:26 +0100
From:      "John W. Kitz" <John.Kitz@xs4all.nl>
To:        <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Is there a possibility to obtain the most recent FreeBSD documentation in .pdf format?

All,

Referring to the following:

On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 04:08:55PM -0600, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 10:56:19PM +0100, John W. Kitz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > I was wondering; most books on FreeBSD that are on the market at any
one
> > time are typically based on a release that is quite a bit older than
the
> > most recent GA'd one. Obviously there is the HTML version online,
> > but
> > prefer to use a book or a printed manual.
> >

> > Is there a possibility to obtain the most recent FreeBSD
> > documentation
in
> > .pdf format, either by means of downloading it or by e.g. using some
tool to
> > generate it from the HTML version?
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/fdp-primer/ has instructions for
building
> the FreeBSD documentation; the extremely abridged version is roughly:
>
> pkg install docproj
> svn co https://svn.freebsd.org/doc/head doc cd doc make FORMATS=pdf
> ENGLISH_ONLY=yes

They're also available on the FTP mirrors:

 http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/

I'd like to make a suggestion.

Given that I prefer hardcopy (books, manuals, etc.) over softcopy I tend to
send .pdf manuals to a print shop to have them printed and bound. One
drawback to this is that anything above 200-300 pages tends to be difficult
to handle physically. So, assuming there are others that do as I do, please
consider that it might be worthwhile and certainly appreciated by people
like me if future releases of the FreeBSD handbook (currently nearly 750 in
total) were produced in separate volumes (each consisting of some 200 to 250
pages), each with their own table of contents, lists, glossary, index and
what not.

Please cc any reactions to me, since I'm not subscribed to this list.

Regards, Jk.