Date:      Sat,  7 Jan 1995 20:23:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Alex R.N. Wetmore" <aw2t+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Graphical installations and such...

Excerpts from internet.computing.freebsd-hackers: 7-Jan-95 Graphical
installations and.. by Wankle Rotary Engine@sky
> All this talk of trying to come up with an X/Tcl/Tk/whatever-based
> installation system touches a raw nerve in me.

I just want to say that I agree with pretty much everything that was said
in this long message.

I really think that the old netbsd/freebsd install script (the one from
freebsd 1.1.5.1 and netbsd 1.0) work just fine.  An added bonus is that
between the boot and root disks there were enough utils to fix a trashed
machine.

One thing that has always bugged me about the FreeBSD install too is that
it never supports doing upgrades (except maybe the 1.1 to 1.1.5.1 upgrade
if there was one, which I really don't remember).  Usually its just a matter
of mounting the floppies and getting it to never newfs any partitions or
re-disklabel my disk, but why aren't upgrade disks (like the upgr-1.0 disks
from NetBSD) ever made.  I really think this is a lot more important then
a color graphical install.

I'm sorry, but I really don't want to see the BSD camps pick up the millions
of Linux users out there who don't really want to learn unix and just want
to run the latest cool warez on their systems.  I think its really nice that
there is a community of Unix users out there who are interested in making
a robust, mature, and stable system, and I really think that is what both of
the BSD groups have been doing.

alex