Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:39:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: securelevel and ipfw zero

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Nate Williams wrote:

> > > C'mon now, re-ording the lines is *certainly* not necessary to work.
> >
> > That's true. I sure didn't do that.
>
> Sure looks like you did.  There are white-space and re-ordering
> modifications in the diffs you sent out.  If you didn't do them, who
> did?

I refuse to justify putting variables in a function I changed in the
right place.

> > > *rant on*
> > > Brian, FreeBSD isn't your private playground for playing around, this is
> > > a group project, and you gotta follow the rules, or you don't get to
> > > play with the rest of the folks....
> >
> > The rules don't say "leave the code that you work with in a bigger mess than
> > when you started." Cleaning up code is a fact of life, and it _NEEDS_ to be
> > done to get work done, very often. You have to learn to deal with that.
>
> No, cleanups occur *separately* from code additions.  The code is *very*
> readable now, and just because you have stylistic differences doesn't
> mean you get to change them because you like them.

Stylistic differences my ass. This module (ip_fw) breaks style(9) in so
many ways, it's not funny. It's sad.

> In particular, the changes I pointed out are not 'cleanups', but style
> changes.

When you make code readable, it's a cleanup.

> I repeat, this isn't your personal playground.  Play by the rules or
> don't play at all.

"Follow KNF or stay out of the kernel code."

> Nate

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/