Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:57:48 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Random signals in {build,install}world recently?

Barney Wolff wrote:
> I don't think so.  I tried that on my A7M266D with no effect.  I believe
> something in recent pmap code doesn't like this mobo, or maybe dual
> athlons in general.  I can run RELENG_5_1 rock solid, and -current from
> 9/24/03 rock solid, but -current from 10/3 or later gets random sigs
> and eventually panics.  I have scsi disks so it's not ata.

I think you need to define "random"; do you mean "rare in frequency
over time at unpredicatable intervals" or "you never know what
program is going to get shot in the head, every 5 seconds, like
clockwork"?

My impression so far in this therad is that it's the former.  If
it's the latter, then I need to think about the problem differently.

Note that you can identify the patch that caused the problem, if
there's an 8 day difference, in no more than 4 kernel recompiles
(log2(8)+1), if you have a local CVS mirror.

-- Terry