Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2014 06:31:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        M Barrassed <freebsd@nnn.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: copy Linux/OpenBSD's Xorg settings?

On Mon, 3 Feb 2014, M Barrassed wrote:

> I've been using FreeBSD for over 12 years, but having a hard time getting Xorg working on a Lenovo W520 Thinkpad.

That machine has options for video, either the integrated Intel graphics
in the processor, or extra Nvidia graphics with the "Optimus" setup.

Intel video up to Ivy Bridge is supported by KMS drivers, reference
here: https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics

At present, there is no Optimus support for FreeBSD.  It may be possible
to disable the Nvidia graphics in the BIOS and use just the Intel
graphics.  Sorry, no idea what is needed to enable Optimus.

> But when I do the `Xorg -config xorg.conf.new -retro` step, neither keyboard nor mouse/touchpad are recognized, and the resolutions settings look way off.

That is likely due to the vesa driver being used because KMS drivers
have not been installed, see above.

By default, the keyboard and mouse depend on hal and dbus being enabled
and running.  That is best disabled by adding
   Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off"
to the ServerLayout section of xorg.conf.

> MY QUESTION:
>
> How can I copy the Xorg settings from my OpenBSD or Linux installation into my FreeBSD 10 installation?

It probably is not an xorg.conf problem, more likely a combination of
needing KMS drivers and Optimus disabled, and so a copied xorg.conf may
not work anyway.

> The others don't seem to have an obvious xorg.conf file anywhere, so I'm stumped for where else to look.

xorg.conf is not required, X can auto-configure most devices and it is
often better to run that way.  Or they may not put xorg.conf in /etc.
There are several other locations that work.  On FreeBSD, the right
place is /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.

> Thank you and sorry for the dumb question.

It's not a dumb question.  Right now, X on FreeBSD is a bit complicated.