Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 20:32:24 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>
Cc:        kmitch@weenix.guru.org, scsi@freebsd.org, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freezes/Reboots with -current ahc driver

Hi,

> > > I just upgraded my 2.2-STABLE system (from around April 1) to 3.0-current
> > > (as of April 21) to gain use of the SMP stuff.
> > >
> > > Now, I am experiancing system freezes and reboots during the
> > > nightly backup.  No error messages ever appear from what I can tell.
>
> I don't belive that this is a SMP problem.  I'm running the same current
> here and am seeing random reboots (not panics) 1-4 times a day.
> I'm running on a 486DX4-100, 24MB and NO SMP.

For the record, after DDB was added to the SMP kernel we demonstrated that the
problem in this case is SMP, specifically the apicIPI() related deadlock.
So this proves that my cheap bandaid doesn't solve the problem...
I've got my thinking cap on, but for now I've suggested the user switch to
a NON APIC_IO kernel.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by