Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 1995 10:35:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        didier@omnix.fr.org (Didier Derny)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pty

> the data would be send and received on the pty side as small blocks.
> each block would be delimited with STX an ETX
>
> example:
>
> STX CODE CHAN DATA ETX
>
> CODE: indicates the nature of the block
>       start a new connection, data, or disconnect
>
> CHAN: ttyp number
>
> It's a protocol wildely use in france for minitel servers.
> (ASM protocol)

HEY!  I've written Minitel code before, for a contract with your ministry
of defense!  Big building, looks like an upside-down squared-off "U"!

8-).

> either I write a program to control 32 pty and feed them with the data
> from the ASM box or I control only one special pty an the driver do the
> job...

I think that the expensive part of the pty is going to be there whether
or not you put in the endpoint.

You may save on fd's doing this, but I think overall the increased code
complexity in the muxed pty driver will steal back whatever savings you
get that way.

Something like this will probably be a false economy, unless maybe you
will put *all* of your code in the kernel.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.