Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 06:48:10 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew <perrya@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        f ds adf <boggie22@juno.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   freebsd dialup server

It certainly does. Have a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook175.html (setting up user ppp)
in particular http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook180.html#424
(receiving incoming calls with ppp)
it has a reference to
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook152.html#dialup (configuring
freebsd for dialup services)

However I installed mgetty and had a look at the hypertext manual at
http://www.leo.org/~doering/mgetty/index.html
and at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook180.html#userppp:mgetty

I fiddled around a bit until I understood what the set ifaddr commands did
in user ppp (thanks also to having a look at Greg Leheys new "Complete
FreeBSD").

things to remember:

* have a look at all the documentation you can find first as their are
some things you can miss if you don't have a bit of an overview first (I
found anyway).

* I keep forgetting to put my nameserver entry into /etc/resolv.conf
without this you may have problems

* make sure you have gateway enabled in your /etc/rc.conf if you wish to
use the server as a router/gateway (I apologise if I've used the wrong
term)

* make sure you've got the right things in your kernel such as
psuedo-device tun 1 for user ppp

Hope this helps, I apologise in advance if any of the links are wrong as I
typed them in.

Andrew Perry
perrya@shoal.net.au