Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 17:45:07 +0100 (BST)
From:      Ben Cohen <bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
To:        Stuart Henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why installing ports on a computer?

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Ben Cohen wrote:
> > > Do ftp.*.freebsd.org support NFS mounting?  If they do (or were
> > > adjusted so that they did), then when necessary it would presumably be
> > > possible to NFS mount the latest set of ports over /usr/ports.
> >
> > the ports collection usually builds in /usr/ports/*/*/work/..
>
> Oh, I didn't think of that....

But would mount_union solve that?

If I understand it correctly, then the build could be local, the rest of
the ports stuff on ftp.*.freebsd.org via mount_nfs, and everything else
would be OK.  If the installation was using CD instead of NFS, mount_union
could be done in the same way.

Depending on exactly how mount_union works (I've never used it) it could
even be used over an installed ports tree to collect new ports (though
perhaps not updated ones?)

I don't know what the advantages and disadvantages of mount_union are, but
maybe this would solve the above problem and software wouldn't have to be
rewritten (much).

Ben.