Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 2010 17:01:47 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Giorgos Tsiapaliokas <terietor@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can i use flags at once?

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 14:47:29 +0000, Giorgos Tsiapaliokas <terietor@gmail.com> wrote:
> for example when i was starting compiling kde i gave the commands,
>
> /usr/ports/x11/kde4 && make install clean
>
> after these commands,the kde package "asked" me which flags i want to use.

This is okay. As long as options haven't been defined before, they
are asked for interactively. For subsequent builds, they are stored.

> with packages like this it is easy,but then i left away from the pc and when
> i went back i saw that the system wanted my confirmation for some flags.

A typical "problem", the solution is easy: "make config-recursive"
will ask you PRIOR to any compiling for a specific port and its
dependencies. Before knowing about this fine mechanism, I also was
very annoyed of this forced interaction that stopped the building
process many times. :-)

The packages you can install via pkg_add have been compiled using
default options, which may or may not fit your particular needs.

> can i make all the flags confirmations in the begging of the installiation
> of the packages?

I mentioned "make config-recursive", but there are also tools like
portmaster, portmanager and portupgrade that allow you to "remote-
control" the ports system in a comfortable way.

There are other make targets that may be interesting, such as the
simple "make config", or "make rmconfig" and its recursive variant.
See "man 7 ports" for a list of all available targets.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany