Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:19:40 -0500
From:      "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ath0 will not associate

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 02:15:47PM -0800, Sam Leffler wrote:
> Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> >Feb 21 09:45:57 stretchlimo kernel: ath0: mac 5.6 phy 4.1 radio 0.0
> >Feb 21 09:47:34 stretchlimo kernel: ath0: ath_chan_set: unable to reset
> >channel 40 (5200 Mhz, flags 0x140 hal flags 0x140)
>
> Not good.  You don't indicate what channel the ap is using but
> presumably it's not 40.    I see no other similar msgs so presumably
> this was a one time occurence?  Did you eject the card mid-scan?

I let it run for a couple minutes, then removed the card.  I don't
think this is something to worry about.

> So the card never saw any beacon/probe response frames from any ap's.
> Are there any besides the one you're trying to use?  Can you setup a 2nd
> laptop and sniff to see if your laptop is sending ProbeRequest on the
> channel the ap is using and/or whether it sees frames this laptop
> doesn't see?

Just wanted to let you know I'm working on this.  You wouldn't think
it so hard, but the other laptop is my wife's
"don't-you-dare-touch-this-I-need-it-for-my-masters" Windows laptop.
Live CD works, but the internal card is a Dell 1470 and my other
wireless card is a wi0 b-only.  So I'm reading up on ndiswrapper this
weekend.

Will be back as soon as I get an adequate sniffer working.

> BTW I think you're missing a deftxkey 1 in your ifconfig line.

Thanks.

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas 	mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org, mwlucas@FreeBSD.org