Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 1995 15:21:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        Glen Foster <gfoster@gfoster.com>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Useful addition to handbook?

On Fri, 24 Nov 1995, John Fieber wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Nov 1995, Glen Foster wrote:
>
> > One thing I don't understand and haven't been able to find much
> > information on is documentation on the structure and capabilities of
> > the 'bmake' source code build system in FreeBSD.  Of course, one of
>
> I've brought up the suggestion of starting a FreeBSD Hackers guide.  The
> first section in such a guide would consist of a guided tour of the
> source code tree.  It would explain how the build process works,
> including the philosohpy of why things are structured the way they are.
>
> However, nobody has shown interest in actually writing such a document.
> There could also be the slight problem that not everyone completely
> agrees on the "philosophy" part.
>
> In the meantime, the only documentation I'm aware of is the "pmake
> tutorial" (/usr/share/doc/psd/12.make/) and the makefiles themselves
> (/usr/share/mk/* and those in the source tree).
>
> On the bright side, it is a heck of a lot simpler than imake...

Imake's described real well in the O'Reilly book (called Imake, of
course).  I wonder if the reason that you're not getting any volunteers
is because so few know enough of the innards to write it.  If there was a
written document detaling the kernel innards, even tho I know it'd be out
of date BEFORE it was published, I'd be quite happy to buy it.  If anyone
ever makes a list, I want to be on that.  I saw someone comment that
maybe if they were given enough incentive.... I couldn't fund it, but I'd
be awfully happy to contribute!

> -john

> == http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;