Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 12:30:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Souad Hocini <souad@netlink.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ld.so failed

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Souad Hocini wrote:

> HI
>
> my shared library is broken ,
> when I run X windows I 've got a error message : couldn't not find
> shared library libjpeg.so.7.0 , but this file is on my machine so it is
> a bit amazing

Please read /usr/src/UPDATING

specifically these entries:

19990106:
        Robert Nordier was kind enough to make this page to enable people to
        install the new bootblocks:

                http://www.freebsd.org/~rnordier/boot.txt

        When updating to ELF, make sure that you have updated your
        /etc/rc files which have different ldconfig invocations for
        elf and aout.  Otherwise things like X will stop working with
        messages about being unable to find library files.  The
        mergemaster utility in ports/sysutils/mergemaster helps to
        keep critical files like this in sync, and its use is
        recommended.

19990104:
        Information about ELF day (see 19981230) can be found in

                http://www.freebsd.org/~peter/elfday.html

        about the upcoming change, its motivations and instructions
        for doing the upgrade.

19981230:
        You should install new bootblocks now.  The ELF kernel will
        become default soon.  In addition, you'll need to upgrade
        your userland programs to ELF before then as well.  Use
        make aout-to-elf to upgrade your userland programs (old
        a.out programs in, for example, /usr/local/bin will
        continue to work, even after the upgrade).  See src/Makefile
        for more details.

I dont' know how you could have POSSIBLY ignored all the warnings
that makeworld spat out at you, or why you didn't upgrade the
system by reinstalling.

If make world didn't spit out any warnings, my apologies, but afaik
it does.

-Alfred