Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 17:39:35 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Darren Henderson <darren@bmv.state.me.us>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /kernel: arp_rtrequest: bad gateway value

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 01:08:40PM -0400, Darren Henderson wrote:

> Posted something similar the other day, but thought I would ask in a more
> general way....
>
> What causes this error? Looking at the archives and source it appears to be
> related to aliases and if_inet.c
>
> What has changed between 4.3 and 4.4 that would account for this error
> appearing under 4.4 but not appear under 4.3 on a system where the network
> configuration has not changed?
>
> Everything appears to be working fine after the upgrade other then the
> appearance of this message numerous times during the day with no apparent
> pattern.
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.

There's the problem with routed(8).  It issues a command similar to
"route change ip ip" for each (but last) IP address of an interface
if the route already exists and is different.  This results in a
changed route with AF_INET gateway, but route's IFA still points to
Ethernet device and rt_ifa->ifa_rtrequest == arp_rtrequest.  This
results in this message as AF_INET != AF_LINK.  The message is
harmless.  This is also reproduceable on a 4.1-RELEASE machine.

How to repeat without routed(8):

1.  Add IP address to your Ethernet interface:
	ifconfig rl0 192.168.1.1 alias

2.  Create route for this address:
	ping -c1 192.168.1.1

3.  Verify that the route was created with gateway of type AF_LINK:
	route -vn get 192.168.1.1

4.  Change the route like routed(8) does:
	route change 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.1

5.  Watch the dmesg(8) output then repeat "route get" command to
    see route's gateway changed to AF_INET:
	route -vn get 192.168.1.1

Cheers,
--