Date:      Sun, 09 Feb 2003 14:45:31 +0900 (JST)
From:      shudo@computer.org
To:        phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua
Cc:        shudo@computer.org, jdp@polstra.com, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, john@utzweb.net, rwatson@freesbsd.org, calvin.austin@sun.com, brian@collab.net, bod@freebsdfoundation.org
Subject:   Re: patchset 2 report (billh's resignation)

Alexey,

Thanks much for your comment, which wiped my doubt out.

From: Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>

> > The original purpose of the funding, which is boosting the TCK work,
> > is inconsistent with the following announce by Greg:
> >
> > | From: Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>

> > | I'd also like to thank the FreeBSD Foundation
> > | who have provided the funding to allow Alexey to continue his work.
> >
> > This announce says that FBSD Foundation has provided the fund for the
> > porting work of JDK 1.4.1, which does not boost the TCK work at all.
>
> Greg is correctly stated current stage of my work, but he did not said
> anything about target purpose of work for that I was contracted for.  Main
> aim of my contract is to have "JDK 1.4.x passed thru TCK tests". Therefore
> I don't see a ground of your words.

> According to TCK -- next week I am going to setup environment for TCK
> tests.  I.e. first pass of TCK for 1.4 tests will be completed next week.

Now, I see that, in addition to Greg, you are also allowed to access
TCK.  That is a very good news because TCK has been one of the
toughest barriers between the forthcoming binary releases and us.

Can anyone estimate how long does it take to pass TCK for 1.4.X?
(How long time do you and the Foundation expect to have a binary release?)

It is hard to believe for me 1.4.X can pass TCK soon (in a week or a
month) because I have seen the cases of Linux and FreeBSD.
Blackdown Java Linux porting team needed three month or more from the
acquisition of TCK to release a binary of JDK 1.2.
It took a little longer than a year to pass TCK for FreeBSD 1.3.1.
In those cases the JVM was Classic VM.  This time the target is
HotSpot VM, which loads more burdens on OS and core libraries like
threads.

I myself have a little experience on TCK.  In 1999, Someone has
applied JCK (now known as TCK) to the JIT compiler I have been
developping.  A few hundreds of tests failed even though I noticed no
bug of the JIT.  I was very surprised (though one bug can causes much
failure).  This experience gave me an impression of TCK, that is
substantial and tough.

  Kazuyuki Shudo	shudo@computer.org	http://www.shudo.net/