Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:24:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Heyer <john@arnie.jfive.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with TCP Wrappers in 3.2

I'm having some troubles with TCP wrappers in 3.2, and was wondering if
there are any known bugs/patches, etc.  My hosts.allow file looks like -
popper : ALL

Then in hosts.deny -
ALL : ALL EXCEPT ournetwork/mask : twist /bin/echo "acess to %d not allowed"

Everything works fine - with the exception of pop3 which is wide open,
all other connections are allowed/denied by the IP address range I've
specified.  The problem is that after a few day of uptime, TCP wrappers
seems to "break" suddenly.  In /var/log/messages, I see things like

Jul 13 14:44:55 horse inetd[25034]: twist dialup.somewherelse to /bin/echo

Note that %d is null, and the dialup user who should have access to the
popper is denied.  I run "kill -9 `cat /var/run/inetd.pid'; inetd"
and everything's back to normal and working fine.

We have a similar setup on our web server, which lets ftpd open since we
use an ftpaccess file for security instead.  I've observed the problem on
another 3.2 machine was well.  Anybody seen this where %d ends up being
null?

--
"Your illogical approach ... does have its advantages."
				-- Spock, after being Checkmated by Kirk