Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 13:21:38 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Damon Anton Permezel <dap@damon.com>, Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.6-* sendmail misfeatures

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:
> The issue is that the server is reporting a _transient_ failure. That
> is, it's telling us that if we wait and try again later, we might get
> a correct response. How do we know if it is a permanently broken
> server or one that really is having a transient problem that will be
> fixed soon? See 5.2.3 of RFC 1034.
>
> Funny thing is that austinenergy.com seems to have one NS that deals
> with AAAA queries in an OK-way and one that doesn't.

Yeah; consider if you were dealing with a human...

A:	[dial-dial-dial, ring-ring-ring]
B:	Hello?
A:	Hi, is Robert James there?
B:	I'm sorry; can you call back later?

C:	[dial-dial-dial, ring-ring-ring]
B:	Hello?
C:	Hi, is Bob James there?
B:	Sure; let me put you through [... put's C through ...]

D:	[dial-dial-dial, ring-ring-ring]
Z:	Hello?
D:	Hi, is Robert James there?
Z:	Sure; let me put you through [... put's D through ...]