Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2009 21:50:50 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andrew Hotlab <andrew.hotlab@hotmail.com>
Cc:        ck@cksoft.de, freebsd-i386@freebsd.org, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cross compiling FreeBSD

Andrew Hotlab wrote:
> Sorry for my stupid question: I'll do the right thing if I'll build an i386 jail chroot/jail on the
> amd64 builder host with the following commands? (grabbed from the FreeBSD Handbook)
> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildworld TARGET=i386
> # make installworld TARGET=i386 DESTDIR=/path-to-jail
> # cd etc/
> # make distribution DESTDIR=/path-to-jail

You can replace those last two lines with:

mergemaster -i -A i386 -D /path-to-jail

In previous incarnations mergemaster was less than completely
effective *cough* in cross-build applications, but thanks to prodding
from Sam and help from Ruslan it works now (where "now" means -current
and 7-stable after the 7.1 release).

hth,

Doug