Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 07:37:35 -0700
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-981004-BETA observations

On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 05:45:54PM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> Hello all...
>
> I had the opportunity to test out installing and fiddling with the latest
> beta a bit today. I have a lonely P90 that I was debugging (turned out to
> be a disk problem - heh :/) and wanted to slap FreeBSD on it, and now that
> wcarchive is back .... :)
>
> Things I ran into:
>
> 1. The disk in it originally had 2.2.1 in dedicated mode installed on it.
>    I went through sysinstall's 'Express' feature, removing the old
>    partition and putting a new one on and making a Greg Lehey
>    Monolithic(tm) layout. At the commit step, for some reason newfs wigged
>    out on it, reporting:
>
> newfs: ioctl(WDINFO): cross-device link
> newfs: /dev/rwd0s1a: can't rewrite disk label
>
>    Exiting back to the main menu and going through 'express' again worked
>    fine.  Go figure.

I reported simular things already to Jordan with Beta 0927 and 0930.
I also got the "can't rewrite disk label" message, when I do a
newfs on my ccd file system on one of my machines.

Still everything seems to work fine.

> 2.  When booting, the machine emits three beeps before displaying the
>     boot: prompt.  I tried this on two Micron PhoenixBIOS 4.04 machines.
>     I didn't have my laptop's floppy drive or I'd try it too.

Noticed that too.

> 3.  The new improved SB Vibra support is heads & shoulders better than
>     2.2.7 :-)  It doesn't break up when playing MP3s using xaudio.  The
>     SB32/VibraC in the aformentioned machine hums long nicely.  I
>     need to test it with X11Amp tho.  Thanks Luigi!

Yeah, applaus for Luigi. This little K6-233 performs very well as mp3
player (using Mxaudio) and as TV with bktr.

> That's my notes so far ... looking good!
>
> Doug White
> Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | www.freebsd.org

Regards, Ulf.