Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 11:12:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>, ugen@xonix.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org, luigi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Firewalls (was Re: Introduction)

On 19 Jun 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> "Brian F. Feldman" <green@unixhelp.org> writes:
> > It might be worth (discussion of) making ipfilter the firewall of
> > choice for 4.0. There would of course be rule conversion
> > scripts/programs (ipfw->ipf(5)), and ipfilter would be converted to
> > a KLD, cruft removed (I'm going to work on these), and ipfilter KLD
> > support (currently options IPFILTER_LKM) made a non-option. It seems
> > that our pretty proprietary ipfw is no longer a good idea.
>
> If ipfilter can to everything ipfw can (judging from ipf(5), it can)
> and you even manage to keep an ipfw(8) command around so those who
> want kan keep using the old syntax still can, then I for one have no
> objections.
>
> Rewriting ipfw rules to ipfilter rules on the fly should be trivial; a
> simple Perl script should be sufficient.

Not quite as trivial as you think. ipfw and ipf are completely backwards when it comes
to rule order: in ipfw, the first rule matched takes effect; in ipf, the last rule matched
takes effect. Plus, ipf doesn't have rule numbers (but there's similar functionailty.)
If you think you can get used to them both enough to tackle this, I'll handle other
things, and we can have a working replacement for crufty old ipfw. Note that Luigi's
extra ipfw functionality and my extra ipfw functionality _will_ be wanted in ipf
before everyone is necessarily willing to switch. I have a feeling there will be some
holdouts that, even if ipfw is removed, they'll MFS (merge from stable) ipfw back just
because they want to keep the old way. Ipfw could be dead for 4.0-RELEASE, as I see it
now. More discussion is, however, necessary.

> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/