Date:      Sun, 4 May 1997 11:04:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DXF?? format disk

> > Is it possible to format and use the 2MB format disks (like win95 is
> > distributed on) in FreeBSD?
>
> Probably not, but i don't know which format they are using.  What
> would we gain from this?  The boot floppy needs to be understood by
> the BIOS anyway, so it must be 1.44 MB.  But then, we only have one
> floppy at all. :-)

It's not 2M, it's either two or three more tracks, and it assumes a
driver that works.  It's about 1.7M instead of 1.44M.

One of the things MS has had to do is make alternate distribution
media available to people with older floppy drives.

>From what I recall, this was a "save one disk out of every seven"
strategy, and was intended for distribution media and disk duplication
cost-cutting, and not much else.

Is your intent the same, or are you just trying to find an OS capable
of copying the MS disks?  8-).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org