Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 1997 19:20:09 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>, questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question: NAT?

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Chris Shenton wrote:

> Doug said:
>
>     Take a peek at IPFilter, or newer versions of the ppp included with
>     FreeBSD include an -alias option that does the necessary translations.
>
> I did, but couldn't find info -- no man page info about "alias" in ppp
> nor pppd pages; which one were you meaning here?  I also didn't find
> any man page on "ipfilter" :-(

Did you install ipfilter? After you do, do man -k ipnat and it'll give
you plenty of info.

> I'm running 2.1.7-RELEASE and just cvsup'ed the ports collection: I
> don't find ppp, pppd, or ipfilter there.

ppp and pppd are part of FreeBSD itself. IPfilter can be compiled pretty
easily from the standard sources. Take a look at:
http://cheops.anu.edu.au/~avalon/

> Thanks.
>
> PS: any comparisons on ipfilter vs. ipfw for a newbie to both (but
>     not networking in general)? I know this provoked a bit of a heated
>     debate here a while back: I am looking mainly for NAT. Just curious
>     because I do see an /etc/rc.firewall which uses ipfw, not ipfilter.

For your purposes ipfw simply doesn't do the job. It does not provide NAT
facilities. IPfilter does. I guess that makes the choice easier for you.
I used to use IPfilter in 2.1.0R days and when I've moved to 2.1.5 I
changed to ipfw, but I don't do NAT.

Nadav