Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 1995 21:25:58 +0200
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>, Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Freeware reward?????

dennis writes:
 > Given that most
 > commercial companies have trouble doing commercially acceptable products in
 > this area
 > , whats the chance that some guy with way too much free time can do better?

They can't do it better, usually, unless some kind of system can be built
to make free software a profitable business.  Cygnus is an example of this;
I think there other alternatives like funds into which people can donate
money for a specific piece of free software to be built, like this specific
case, although in lack of suitable fund we need just to make promises.

If the drivers are completed, within a year we will see which method turns
out to be the best. If cards supported by freely available drivers sell
more then than those with no freely available drivers, in FreeBSD
environment, we can make conclusions.  Until that, we can only speculate.
Maybe we should drop -hackers off the receivers?

 > Is this for the "best" resulting product, or the first? Or don't you care?

We are not searching for the best product we can get.  We are searching for
a product which happens to do what we need: make either two FreeBSD
machines or a Cisco and a FreeBSD machine to talk to each other over a
synchronous link.  ET cards would probably do the job, but I do find free
drivers an additional bonus which I give high value for.

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN